Saturday 26 September 2009

Glamorgan Gwent Archaeological Trust

In my search for information, on Thursday I took the day off work and made an appointment to visit the Glamorgan Gwent Archaeological Trust, whose offices are just a couple of streets away. I was told that it would be best to submit your requests in advance, so that they would have all the materials ready for you when you arrived. Well!

I arrived, and the person who answered the door had no idea who I was. I was invited in and told that no one was available to see me, and asked to wait. I was shown into an office where they looked at me expectantly and asked what I wanted. Not a good start! I explained and they rushed around and eventually found my questions, but were obviously not prepared. So they kept me talking while they rushed off to look for stuff.

Then it turned out that their meeting room has dry rot, which is being treated, so they squeezed me onto someone's desk (I don't know where they worked while I was there), and gave me a pile of books and files to look at. I don't know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it.

Anyway, I was there for three hours, and took loads of notes. Some things I just noted references as I thought I had the information already. They told me I can go back any time and ask for specific things, now I have seen the files, and I was allowed to photocopy some stuff.

The most interesting thing was that Dr Edith Evans, who wrote the booklet which I started my research with - Swansea Castle and the Medieval Town - works for GGAT and talked to me for quite a while. I suspect it may have been her desk I borrowed.

I also found a source which referred to Alina as Alianora, but I think I'll stick with Alina. The family name has also gone through several permutations. In France they were de Briouze. In England they were de Braose, and there is a lot of resource material still using that name. Then, locally, they were de Breos. I also found out that the local pronounciation for many generations for Parc le Breos, named after the family, is more like Brouze. Interesting.

Oh, one more thing. Gerald Gabb (see previous post) emailed me and asked for a copy of my outline, because he was so impressed with it. I am delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment